Elder Isaac Blake

Elder Isaac Blake
Email: isaac.blake@myldsmail.net

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy Independence Day - Go Argentina!

Hey fam,

Today's the 4th of July, but it's kinda a bummer cause its raining and cold... And also kinda weird because the only kind of craziness/excitement you'll see here is for a big soccer game - Argentina vs. Chile for the "Copa America." So yeah, tried my best to wear the stars and stripes out on the soccer field today (btw - took one for the team when I was playing goalie - saved a shot with my face...)

The week has been really solid and rewarding - had a lot of hub-bub (sp?) with a group of missionaries leaving (RIP Slighting) and a new one arriving. My old comp E' Tello is off to the south, training and white-washing a small branch - he's a stud and will do great! 

E' Rodriguez and I have gotten after it. We're establishing a good teaching pool - completing the Coronel and Tejerina families as well as teaching a new family, the Alvarez, who actually contacted us in the street 2 days ago. 

Enrique (about 35) and Jesus (15 or so) came up to us and Enrique was basically distraught. He told us that his wife is in the hospital and is struggling for her life. He also proceeded to tell us (the majority was received by Agustina Flores, a member who was accompanying us) that he and his family are really really struggling financially. It was sad, but also really upliffting to see Agustina and E' Rodriguez really empathize with him - E' Rodriguez spoke from the heart and hugged them. We gave them a Book of Mormon and told them we'd take them to the hospital the next day to see Isabel, his wife.

So yesterday we went and had a powerful experience giving Isabel a blessing, as well as teaching Enrique in the waiting room. He's barely learning to read so that's gonna be tough, but he's excited and seems to be a lot more hopeful about the future. Then today we invited them to play futbol and had a great time. 

For me, transitions aren't very fun - I was a little blue saying goodbye to E' Slighting and E' Tello, but quickly was able to see all the good in my two new comps and the week was really good. I'm especially excited to get to know E' Contreras even more - he seemed really quiet and serious, but he likes to talk hahahh. We've driven quite a bit together and he's told me some good jokes, about his life, what he likes to do etc. He's such a great dude.

I've been trying to recommit myself to 100% obedience and diligence, especially with the little things. I read a D. Todd Christofferson speech that really inspired me. He said something along the lines of 'it's exciting to know that we can expand our freedom as we perfect our obedience.' I've really liked diving into the Scriptures and words of modern-prophets this week. Made me think - Dad, I think you usually have the habit of listening to the scrips in the car as you commute, right? That's great, and I love doing the same (in the shower,) but I had a realization this week. I listened to and studied on paper the same Christofferson speech, and recieved 100 times more revelation and inspiration studying slowly on paper. I don't know your routine, but please take at least 15-30 mins to dive into your paper scrips and the Conf. Ensigns every day (just in case you aren't). That's an invite to all - it'll make a huge difference!

Last thought - Uncle Stu, thanks for your letter. I'm completely certain that Davis and I will be mission comps on the other side of the veil for at least one transfer.

Love you all so much! Be grateful for the beautiful land of America - don't take it for granted. 

Elder Isaac Blake


No comments:

Post a Comment