Elder Isaac Blake

Elder Isaac Blake
Email: isaac.blake@myldsmail.net

Monday, March 24, 2014

Staying in Limache for yet another transfer

Switching things up this week.  I got the two packages from the fam on Wed and inside was a real treasure, a handwritten letter from Lincoln. I'm gonna type it up word for word:

Dear Isaac, 

I'm haveing some tough times and some good times. Struguls with techers can you mabey you have some advice? Know that I am baptized and am older, I understand more I feel more power in the holy ghost when I was yonger I did not understand my acshins that much now I do. How is the eyst (I think he meant best) way to not disobay and stuff like that? I mite also ask mom or dad or both. If you have any gwasinge (no idea, perhaps questions) abuot anything? in you next letter you can tell me. I'm have thotghs about my futcher, can give me idus? (I'm thinking I mite not make some relly spesol job or something).

Love, Lincoln 

Dearest Lincoln, 

Bro, your letter was the best thing I've gotten in a long time. I love you so much dude. Don't worry about the struggles, God has His plan for you! I know He loves you so much and all of the struggles will be there to help you grow and be a better Lincoln. Here's some advice though - be a friend. Be as nice as you can be to all your classmates and friends, and your teachers. Love them. Try to be like Jesus and I'm sure everything will get better. 

I love that you have learned so much about baptism! I used your letter to explain the wonderful gift that baptism is, because you explained it so simply. When we get baptized, we receive the Holy Ghost - He is our constant companion, and helps us make correct choices. It makes me so happy that you are learning to choose the right thanks to such a gift. As for some advice on obeying - Lincoln, it all starts with the desire to obey! I can see so clearly that you want to choose the right. You want to not disobey, and that's so fantastic. Always ask yourself if you think you are about to obey, "What would Jesus do?" And bro, for sure you should ask mom or dad OR both! They love you so much and will always help you to choose the right and obey. 

Now, for your future. Lincoln, you have such a bright future. You're smart, hilarious, nice, and cool. I know you're gonna make some special job. You're gonna be a great man. Lincoln, one of the very best parts about reading emails is when Dad tells me about your latest adventures and fun - like playing knee hockey all day after the Olympics, or watching A Football Life and playing catch with dad. Try to play all the sports you can, but especially football. Eat healthy and exercise, and one day you'll be even better than me and Brigham when you play for the Wellesley Raiders and Coach Davis. 

I do have some questions - write me and email next week. How are things going with your friends? How about your scripture reading and prayers? Are you doing them every day? Are you being a peacemaker at home? 

I hope you know how much I love you, and our family loves you, and most importantly, God loves you. Never give up hope, even when you feel sad. You will always have our Heavenly Father available to talk to. Just keep praying. 

Love you so much Lincoln, you're a boss,

Your bro, Isaac.


Alright, as for some details etc. This week has been sooo long, and honestly a tough trial, in a different way. I succumbed a bit to the natural man in me, thinking I'd get transferred. I may have lost focus for a good majority of the time. I think it all started when I got the two Blake fam care packages. I got homesick with the first, and I'd say it was even worse this time. Basically, the Wellesley Football yearbook killed me. Man. All the pictures, the newspaper articles, everything. Reading about Thanksgiving. Thinking about Brigham and how much he missed. I miss football so much. I miss you guys, and I miss the past. I thought a lot about the success the team had this year and how good it was to see young guys step up and work together. Idk, it threw me off. Thursday night, we brought L and A to the English class the other ward offers. It was mostly so A could have her baptismal interview, but they learned too. Well, we got a huge answer to prayers in a unexpected way. I mentioned in passing to L that it was a shame I was gonna leave before she got baptized. Really didn't think much of it, but she said basically, "what are we waiting for?" Hahaha so I tell her to talk to our DL and she had an interview too. Well, Elder Durrant comes in and asks for a pen, and they emerge 10 mins later with the baptismal form all filled out and signed, with the date set for Sat 22. Wow. He said she was willing to live all the commandments. A passed too, but her mom didn't end up signing her form. Anyways, out of the blue in supposedly my last week in Limache, I baptized her Saturday morning. We had a hiccup with the font at 7 am, and at one point it looked like we'd have to postpone for the next week. I was bummed, but prayed and everything was sorted out. I battled a lot with personal pride - thinking maybe I was selfishly pushing them towards Saturday for me, not for them. I prayed and studied to kill my pride, and I think it worked. 

Whatever, I'm all over the place and the comp is way slow so I'll get to the point. It turns out I'm staying - Hermansen too. We were both way caught off guard and a bit bummed. We thought Elder Durrant was kidding. Turns out our whole district is staying, at least for now. I called back, and Elder Durrant told us that President is planning something with our district, he said something like 4 new missionaries here or something. Pres comes tomorrow so next week I'll be able to fill you in. For now, looks like I'll have almost 8 months in Limache which is insane. Need to get back at it and keep baptizing in this tough area. I'm grateful. I know that this will be good for me - gonna work on strengthening my companionship and really need to maintain the fire I had at the beginning of my mission - maintain humility and charity. 

I miss ya'll so much, keep being awesome. Here are some of my farewell pics that again, aren't so farewell. It'll be great fun (sarcastic) to see all the members and investigators etc that I said goodbye for life to. 

Love you so much,
Elder Blake


Found the Sequoia!! So rare - all the cars here are different. 
 Inline image 1
Us and L!
 Inline image 2
Me and F C. He's not a member and likes to smoke, drink, and try to teach me bad words. I always tell him he's gonna get baptized some day, but he doesn't believe me. I know.
 Inline image 5
Me killing it with S, A's nephew
 Inline image 6
Me, A, her niece and nephew
 Inline image 7

No comments:

Post a Comment